Monday, August 3, 2009

Half-Marathon: Done! On to the next goal...

I am terrible about posting on this blog...I guess I put too much pressure on myself to come up with interesting things to write about...as if my daily activities would be too boring to the general population. Well, that has all changed. I can now start writing about my new goal: The June 2010 Coeur D'Alene Idaho Ironman!

I am ready to be an Ironman. My daughter, Ellie, did point out the other day that they should call it the Ironwoman. Right? Right! But if that were the case then most Moms would already qualify for this title...because really we are already Ironwomen! 

I certainly have my fears about shooting for this goal. But I believe deep in my heart that I can do it if it's important to me. My husband, Curtis, has pointed out that I need to be really disciplined about not taking on too many activities during the next year if I actually want to complete the Ironman. I guess he is right when you consider that I will be needing to ride my bike for 6 hours every Saturday morning! And then some. Yikes.

Here is another insight. I am a newbie to tris. Technically I have done at least one tri when I was in college. But I have not even done a sprint tri as an adult. Oh, don't get all excited about my lack of experience. I have time to gain the experience. I have one year. And that's just how I roll. I decided one day that I was going to run a marathon and I just did it. So my lack of experience only slightly concerns me.

I do not have a proper bike or any proper gear for that matter. I am waiting to purchase a tri bike when I have some money! And I will get a wet suit. And anything else that I need to complete a tri. I am sure I need to start saving my pennies, now!

As I mentioned in my headline my running group finished a half marathon! I was so proud of the 16 women who crossed the finish line. Many of them had never run more than 3 miles. Their effort gave me the hair-brained idea that I could finish an Ironman...so it's all their fault! 

Time to get moving. I have many miles to go before next June!

No comments: