Monday, January 19, 2009

Wanna run a half marathon?

I am so amazed at the human spirit.

I announced last week at my outdoor fitness class that I will be organizing a running group to train for the Rock and Roll Seattle Half Marathon in June. I wasn't really sure if I'd have any takers. But as of today we are nearly 10 ladies strong! Every single one of these women has never run farther than 5 miles...and here they are making the statement that they are ready to run for two hours straight! 12 whole miles!

I am looking forward to blogging about our experience over the next six months. I am particularly interested in sharing how all of us struggle with the ups and downs of reaching for a lofty goal and in the process meet many small health and wellness goals along the way (weight loss, stress management, improved heart rate...). The benefit of training for a larger goal is that we can work week-to-week to set smaller and more attainable goals...this is really the only way that we can get our heads around the fact that we will be pounding the pavement for many miles!

Our official training program begins Feb. 23. We will be using Jeff Galloway's training program, which involves both running and walking. A run/walk training program is best for injury prevention and for allowing all of us to have a life...and since we are all mothers we will need to be realistic about our training!

So please join me in this journey -- here's to the June half marathon and to the many adventures that we will face along the way!




No comments: